Hello dear parents,
If the baby starts to crawl, our eyes and ears need to be open to protect the little one from any possible accident. The health and safety of the baby is our primary priority as a parent. One of the measures we undertake in our homes is the use of Baby Gates First Years.
Our baby grows up very quickly during the first year of life. We marvel at our child’s physical and psychomotor developments makes from one month to another. Our child learns to rotate and to sit in the first six months of his life. (first with the help of pillows and then by himself).
In the second half of the year, the baby crawls on the floor, learns to stand on her feet, initially assisted by various objects in our homes, until she takes her first steps and begins to walk safely. In the second year of life, the baby gains complete confidence to walk in and out of the home. She becomes agile in the physical activities she performs, learns to run, learns to ascend and descend the stairs, plays on the playground with slides, or similar games that facilitate her movements.
All these stages of baby development accompanied by the high risk of home accidents, some of them with fatal end for baby life. Baby gates help us to prevent a good part of these accidents and to keep our babies safe. The main reason that why we should use baby gates is to avoid fatal home accidents for our children.
I’m listing some tips for baby gates below, hoping to answer some most frequently asked questions from parents about them.
You can also have a look at my blog for my last articles related to safe baby and toddler products
“As the owner of this website, I’ve tracked down great deals for the products and services mentioned herein. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase, I may get a small commission, and you may get a worthwhile bargain. It’s a win-win all around. Thank you for supporting this site. FYI- Prices and Terms of the products refer to the date of the publication of this article. Full disclosure.”
The right baby age to use baby gates first years
The early years of a child’s life are considered the most critical years for which children need to be restricted and monitored in high-risk environments for accidents in our homes. Children from 1 to 4 years old have the highest rate of home injury death.
In the first two years, the child is even more at risk of accidents because he still does not fully understand the actions he has taken and the more their consequences. As soon as the baby starts to crawl, a baby gate needs to install in our home. The typical year at which this process begins is after the first six months. Because each child is unique, the parent should monitor his child for developmental stages. Baby gates should stay installed at least until the baby is 24 months old. Even manufacturers have designed these products for use from 6 months up to 2 years old.
Right steps to follow before choosing baby gates
Please find below some recommendation that we should consider before choose and decide to buy baby gates:
1. Location. Identify all high-risk zones in our home where should be installed baby gate. The most usual places to settle in them are the stairs, the chimney, the corners, the baby room, etc.
2. Dimensions. Be sure to prior measure the opening of the place to ensure proper fit.
3. Product type. Choose the right product for you, based both on the location and size opening where it will install. Prepare a list of all the product features that meet your requirements. The mainly of them are:
- The location of installation,
- The wide of the gate opening,
- Gate height,
- Space between bars,
- The wide of place (cabinets, door frames, column, wall, etc.) where will be installed wall cup.
- The usability, both for baby and pets,
- Adjustable parts,
- Extensions parts,
- The bottom spacing.
4. Safety Certified. Be sure that your product and the materials used for its production shall have safety certified. It recommended that products have both JPMA certified (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) and ASTM (ASTM International Voluntary) standards. That means that manufacturers are participating in the certification program administered by JPMA. The ASTM standard determines issues that manufacturers must apply. So, the gate height (not less than 22 inches; the distance between the bottom of the gate and the floor (not more than 3 inches); strength of top rails; framing components; latching mechanism integrity; and upper-edge configuration; any openings more than 2/3 of an inch deep can be no larger than 1 1/2 inches.
5. Be sure to read carefully manual instructions: installation instructions have a lot of details that make us clear about the dilemmas we might have about installing a baby gate in the location that we have necessary at home.
6. Product warranty: In the product packaging will be a warranty sticker that shows all the warranty information about the product.
Types of baby gates and places where we can install them
According to the technical definition, baby gates divided into two types: The hardware-mounted gate and The pressure-mounted gate.
The hardware-mounted gate highly recommends for installation at the top of the stairs. This gate strongly considers more safety for the child if we have to block the top of the stairs. The hardware-mounted gates require screws for installation in a doorway; you drill holes in a door frame or into the studs behind a wall and attach the gate with the brackets and the screws. After the gate’s removed, the holes can fill with the same material of the damaged surface.
Pressure-mounted gates are more usable and convenient for the bottom of the stairs. They can also use in a doorway, for separating two areas. They settle in place by pressure against the wall or the frame. They are easier to install and dislodge, no drilling required, but for guaranteed, our child security not recommended installation anywhere the security compromised.
When the baby gate can use in different areas is also known as a multi-use baby gate. These are often 3-in-1 baby gates to keep your baby safe in multiple ways.
We can use this type of baby gate when we want to do something without the presence of the child, such as when we are cooking in the kitchen. We can share the kitchen area and take the child under our control and supervision.
This type of baby gate can use when we want to keep our pets away from our baby, or we want to create a play zone inside or outside the home for our baby, that she can play safely.
Baby gates are in many designs and features that make them easily usable and functional in enhancing child safety.
Mainly, the row material used in baby gates is metal, wooden, or plastic. These materials certified by JMPA and met ASTM Standards can be our quality warranty that they are not harmful to the health of our child.
Remember: The Pressure-mounted gate is more useful and safer when we want to keep the baby away from any object, such as pets or places, kitchen area, baby room, fireplace, Christmas tree, play space indoors, and outdoors, etc.
The hardware-mounted gate is more useful and safer for the top of the stairs. They can also use any other areas of the home, except the round places.
Important tips during the installation of the baby gate
Please find below some tips to keep in mind when installing a baby gate. These tips should implement by you following the location and purpose of the baby gate installed. Like baby cribs, baby monitors, or other baby nursery items, it is significant to install and use in a proper way to keep our baby safe.
1. Install the gate correctly following all the manufacturer’s instructions, using all the recommendations and features specified by the manufacturer.
2. When you are installing a Hardware- mounted gate for the top of the stairs, make sure that the gate will open over the floor, not over the steps.
3. Install Hardware-mounted gate into the wall stood or solid wood. Use long screws for the installation of this type of gate, so it not detached from the wall or place where you are installing it.
4. Do not install the hardware gate into round places. This may cause the gate did not close properly.
5. Do not install the pressure-mounted gate for the top of the stairs can be easily displaced and cause damages.
6. To minimize babies’ accidents, it recommended installing a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. In this way, we avoid the baby’s damages if the baby climbs and falls from the gate.
7. Install a gate that is certified by JPMA for baby use. If you want a baby gate to use for babies and pets, make sure that you purchase a product that specified that can be for both used. Don’t modify a pet gate for your child. If you are buying a baby gate for your child, then your child should be your first choice.
8. Do not install a baby gate too high above the floor. In this way, you avoid the risk of being trapped.
9. Avoid gates with horizontal slats or bars, cause, your child can easily climb on them and the risk of falling is high.
10. If you like gates with mesh panels, look for a thin braided mesh to avoid your child’s fingers trap.
Rules for keeping in mind
Make sure that the gate is installed correctly before use. Test by yourself before being used by your child.
Always keep the gate closed, and latched, in this way, you can decrease the risk of injury and damages from the gate.
Remember that kids imitate our actions and our behaviors so, slip climbing over your baby gate. In this way, you can avoid the hurts that your child may suffer by climbing to the baby gate.
Identify the right type of gate by the place that the baby gate will install.
Follow the approved guidelines and standards for these products and do not take personal initiatives to make unauthorized changes during product installation and endanger your child’s life.
If you want to make changes, additions, extensions, etc. during installation and make modifications by adapting the baby gate to your environment, be sure to obtain the manufacturer’s approval, which has issued a safety and warranty certificate for this product.
Remember, the installation of the baby gate does not mean leaving the child alone without our supervision.
Our best suggestions in Baby Gates- Best Quality and Price
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
#1.The Regalo Easy Step gate is a design for children from 6 to 24 months old. It installs quickly by either pressure mount or wall mount, and it can remove fast for storage. The space between the bars is 2.5 inches. The gate door is 16 inches wide. Perfect for doorway, hallway, and bottom of stair use. A useful gate for pets too.
- It includes multiple-lock features and certified to both JPMA and ASTM standards.
- It is a pressure mount and All- steel design.
- Perfect for doorways, hallways, and bottom of stairs. For installation, the gate includes four spindle rods, four wall cups, and screws for added security.
- Fits openings between 29″-34″ or 35″-38.5″ wide with the included extension. The gate stands 30″ tall.
#2. The Regalo Extra Tall Baby Gate is a safe and convenient way to contain and protect both your child and home. It boasts of all-steel construction. To make Regalo gate installation a breeze, pressure mount the gate with the included rubberized tension knobs. This Regalo gate can be 41 inches tall, and the door opening can be from 29-36.5 inches.
- It stands 41 Inches Tall and expands to fit openings between 29-36.5 inches wide.
- Pressure mount design that can set up fast.
- It includes a 4-inch large extension kit and four pressure mount spindle rods.
- Perfect for doorway, hallway, and bottom of stair use.
- The all-steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. The gate certified to both JPMA and ASTM standards.
- It includes multiple safety-lock features and four wall cups for added security.
- Perfect for children 6-36 months and for PETS TOO.
#3. The Easy Swing Gate constructed of steel, making this gate extremely strong and sturdy. This Gate design can secure block doorways, stairways, and other spaces. The Easy Gate is a great choice to accommodate large areas in your home – fitting openings from 28.68″ to an extra-wide 47.85″ and is 31″ tall.
- Hardware mount design
- Ideal gate for top of the stairs
- It made in the USA seal with the best steel metal.
- Stand 31 inches and expand 26.68 to an extra-wide 47.85 inch.
#4.The Regalo Gate, 4-in-1, is a multi-use safety gate that features durable all-steel components. The baby gate features a walk-through door designed that allows the adults to pass easily through and, it is easy mounting to the wall. This design is ideal as a play yard, fireplace barrier, at the landing of stairs, and portable in family trips. The 4-in-1 play yard is PVC-free and meets the safety standards set by the ASTM and JPMA certification.
- Hardware-mount system.
- Stands 28 inches tall and can open up to 192 inches wide as a wall-mounted gate and eight-panel configurable play yar.
- Includes eight removable and configurable panels that enclose 19 square feet.
- Easy setup and storage.
- All durable steel design.
- 90-day warranty
#5. The Evenflo play space is professionally designed for children of ages 6-24 months, and it can use in both indoor and outdoor spaces. Exclusive reversible legs with outdoor stakes for lawn stability and anti-movement. Quick and easy assembly, with six interlocking UV weather-resistant panels, easy to take anywhere. Useful for Pets, too.
- It designed a spacious play center for children ages 6 to 24 months. It can be used for pets, too.
- It measures over 18.5 square feet and is 28 inches tall.
- indoor and outdoor use.
- easy and quick assembly.
- products for almost 100 years.
- 90-day warranty.
My Last Thought – I Hope these tips to baby gate first years have been helpful to you
One last thing that I want to mention is about the age at which the baby gate should use. You should keep in mind that every child is different from the others, and the better thing to do is to monitor your child for his development stages.
Be sure to buy your gate before that your child began to crawling. In this way, you have taken advantage of the various seasonal offers that may be available for the type of product you want to buy.
I hope this article has provided a complete overview of what you need to know about baby gates and to help you in choosing the right and quality baby gate first years.
Do you have any comments or questions about it? Feel free to fill the form below. I will back to you in 48 hours.